Friday, September 9, 2016

Bucket List Trip 2016~Day 4~ Amana Colonies - Williamsburg, IA

Had a very restful night in our hotel in Williamsburg, Iowa
The large motel was managed by a very friendly couple.
They took excellent care of this place.
I'm giving it a 5 out of 5.
  Started out as a very cloudy morning but no rain.
Last week a friend said we should check out this place.
I was thrilled when I found out it was practically next door to Uncle Keith.
Amana Colonies is a very interesting place.
     "Six villages were established, a mile or two apart, across a river valley tract of some 26,000 acres - Amana, East Amana, West Amana, South Amana, High Amana and Middle Amana. The village of Homestead was added in 1861, giving the Colony access to the railroad." (History of Amana Colonies.)
We met Uncle Keith & Karen at the Woolen Mills.

Karen & I are kindred spirits in that we both are interested in quilting.
She recently donated a quilt for a benefit and it brought over 500$! Not me.









 While I was taking a shot of the sewn pieces, Mr. G was taking a shot
of the shelf.

 Mittens

We then visited the wood shop that made furniture and clocks and other little things.

 I would have #4 above in my classroom.










Next was the quilt shop which was a fabric store.
I didn't find a souvenir I didn't already have or needed.

Then on to lunch with some German style food.
I had the chicken schnitzel.

We checked out a lily pond.
It should be called a lily lake!
The clouds moved on for the afternoon.

 Folks don't choose and buy their cemetery lot.
As a community member passes, they are buried in the next spot.

 Ever heard of an Amana refrigerator? This is where they are made.
Other appliances used to be made by Amana until other companies bought those.
 ****************
It was decided we'd spend another night in the same hotel and take our car back to the hotel.
and then go north with Keith and Karen to find Mr. G's grand father's farm at Charles City, IA.
In transit to the hotel, we found out there had been a sudden 4 inch rain around Charles City
and there was major flooding of roads.
SO,
we decided to drive to all the colonies and meet up with Uncle Keith for some football tomorrow.
 East Amana
 West Amana





 
 Amana Colonies



 The only church in all the colonies we found which surprised us since this place started over religion.


By the time we left, rain clouds were building again.
 Headed back to the room.

While I took a power nap, Mr. G went shopping across the highway.
Yeah, that's us. He loves to shop.
I must say, jeans for 9$ was a good deal.
He can find them.

Had a hard rain just before supper.
We were happy to settle in to our comfortable room during some more heavy rain.

Meanwhile as I settled down after supper to write this blog,
the internet nor the cellular would work
so, I didn't get to finish & post on day 4.
I hope you enjoyed our ride through the Amana Colonies.

**********************************************
Follow along on our trip as I will try to post daily.
Just use the "Newer" button below to find out what happened on Day 3.
****************************************

Thanks to the FREE program

 Photoscape for downsizing & watermarking photo & other alterations to pictures



No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.