Saturday, September 12, 2015

Quilt Shot Block #43 ~ Prairie Queen

12 inch square

Found in
A book I bought back in the late 70s.
It only includes a picture of the designs and their possible names.
You have to create the pieces & decide how to put them together.

This is a block that didn't take long to make.
It would be easy to mass produce the blocks.


To make this block, I got out my HT reference chart.
I wanted a 12 inch square so I needed 4 inch blocks.
Actually another chart told me to add an inch to play it safe.
So a 10 inch square was used here.

With the extra inch, trimming was easy.
It was especially easy using this souvenir ruler I got in Florida this past February.
It's a great tool for cutting & trimming pieces.  Can't believe I haven't used it before now.
It goes from 1 inch to 6 inches with the quarter inch, & a diagonal line marked.

For the 4 patch blocks, two 2 ½ inch strips were sewn together on one side, then cut into 2 ½ inch strips again.  Then 2 of those sewn together to make the 4 patch.

When you look at this block in a smaller picture, you can see another design appear.
Is there a free online software that would let me put this picture side by side without sashing to see the subdesigns?

Thanks to the FREE programs:
 Photoscape for downsizing & watermarking photo

2 comments:

  1. Try searching for a free photo collage software - you could keep adding that same photo to get you an idea of what it's like

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I had seen every simple block 3 x 3 block, but this is a new one to me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.